Wednesday, November 7

Do you use a slow-cooker? Call for your recipes!!!

Tuesday nights are now slow-cooker nights in our home (at least for the past two weeks).

I bought a slow cooker (also known as a crock pot) last year. I attempted my first recipe and it was bad... REALLY BAD! I put the crock pot away for a year and finally decided to give it a try again.
I work on Mondays, Tuesday and Thursdays. I pick up my son at preschool around 4:30 and then we get home around 5 PM. We have been bored with countless visits to Justa Pasta and Laughing Planet. We are also bored with pizza and take-out Thai. We have lost interest in grilling on the BBQ and we are looking for alternatives to pasta dishes. I've been craving hot, old-fashioned meals, but I just don't have the time to cook the way I did in the past.

Last Tuesday, I bought a nice chunk of beef (on sale at QFC). I put it in the slow cooker with chopped onions, garlic, salt and pepper. I cooked on low for 8 hours. It was pretty good. We served it with a baked potato and salad.

Yesterday, I made a pork loin roast (on sale at Zupan's). I cooked it with cumin, chili powder, a can of chilies and chopped onion. It cooked for 8 hours on low. We served the shredded pork on warmed corn tortillas, topped with cheese and roasted asparagus.
I hope you will share your simple and easy recipes.

1 comment:

kathy said...

Hi there!
I found the link to your blog through the link of UrbanMamas. Good luck with the bedtime potty issue! :)
A favorite at our house (which my twin 3 1/2 year old boys will gladly eat)is a bbq pulled pork. It's SO easy! Its with a packet made by McCormick Slow Cookers, which you can find in the aisle that has taco/spaghetti seasoning. It just cooks a big piece of pork all day with the packet and a bit of brown sugar, vinegar and ketchup. We have it over rice, or on a toasted bun. Delicious!